Not your dinner movie

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 11:12 AM
So a few days ago mjk discovered the fact that I'd never seen Saving Private Ryan. Well of course, this was just unacceptable, so last night he decides that's the movie we'll watch while eating dinner (the boys still don't have cable, so it's either using the PS3 to play Rock Band or watch a dvd... thank god for the latter). So we throw the pizza into the oven and sit down to watch what I discover is the most depressing 20 minutes of a movie I have ever seen. In my life. I mean, Tom Hanks tops his goodbye to Jenny level of depression in this movie. The scene that really sticks out in my head specifically is the slow-mo when you see a disoriented man (missing an arm, mind you), looking around and then bending over to pick up his arm. Heart breaking! And it's all true, of course. True story movies are always way more heart wrenching (did I spell wrenching right?). Okay, well anyway, I'm sitting there just sort of in shock (not crying, just feeling overwhelmingly sad) and then of course DING! dinner's ready! Somehow my appetite just wasn't the same at that point. And then SPOILER ALERT: Tom Hank dies at the end?! Talk about even MORE depressing! He goes all this way to save Matt Damon and then he dies! He doesn't get to go home to his wife and her rose garden! And it's the stupid German dude that he let go that is the one that kills him?! The one that the dorky dude totally should've killed, but instead just froze. I mean literally like 4 of the awesome characters died b/c the dorky guy just froze. Ugh. I hate that guy. So yeah I got into the whole thing, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't completely depressing.

And on a completely separate note, why is it my boyfriend can be completely shocked that I have not seen Saving Private Ryan and it doesn't somehow work the same way when it comes to Little Women?! Hey C, I think it's time to have a double dinner and a movie date... WE pick the movie.

1 Responses to Not your dinner movie

  1. Beeps Says:

    I say bring it!

    "Marmie, Marmie, we've been expectuating you for hours!"

Post a Comment